Thursday 29 March 2012

PA(STY)THETIC - the importance of a politically acceptable diet

I’m not sure which is worse, the fact that we judge the two most senior politicians in the country based on their penchant (or otherwise) for pastry products or the fact that they feel the overwhelming need to ingratiate themselves with made-up stories.  Was it Leeds, was it a railway station, was it indeed a pasty – who knows and more to the point, who cares?
I not exactly a fan of either, but would defend their right to the end to eat pretty much what they like.  I am not posh (but do know a little French) and I haven’t had a pasty since 1981 (if I recall correctly???) and I don’t think that makes me a bad person.  They are not after all the healthiest snack in the world and I need to watch my waistline, but there I go falling into the same trap of defending my unconscious abstinence.
I’m sure it will all blow over soon.
As regards the tax, why not sell them cold and offer a free heating up service?
The posh version of a pasty is boeuf en croute, so will that be taxed in the same way?  In fact if I buy it frozen at below room temperature, can I claim some VAT back?  They really do have their work cut out with the small print on this one!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment